Thursday, July 21, 2005

More on Joshua.

I just got Josh dressed and his CI on, and I wanted to share some more thoughts I've had this morning. The CI has been more of a blessing that few could fully understand. When we were at our last location/home, we were very fortunate to have great therapies for Josh. Four different therapies a week, two in home, and two at other locations. For both physical and CI habilitation. Sometimes that therapy was really hard to go through. For all of us. My hubby was in Iraq for a year, too, leaving me at home to deal with this and the three boys. We are stronger for it, but I'm glad at least that is over.

But I really believe that Josh's access to sound through his CI has been a major help in his development. He is much better able to express himself now, and we are finally seeing how much he can understand. His physical development is coming along now, too. Gross motor and fine motor skills. His biggest problem, through my own observations, has been physically telling his body to do something. Once he figures out how to do something, it seems to come much easier. Now we are understanding the seizures may have been getting in the way of his motor processing.

But now that he has his CI on this morning, his input is more clear, I am able to get his attention better, and he is calming down more. I need to get a picture uploaded sometime, though. He just looks like a little angel. I mean he really looks like a cherub! Such a cutie. He even approximated "I love you" after I said it to him. A stranger may not have understood it, but it meant the world to me.

No comments: