Friday, September 30, 2005

I'm so proud of Matt!

Matt won his "spelling bee" last week, and he has another today. Now that we're working on spelling, I'm finding which letters he really doesn't hear as well. When I see how he perceives certain words, it's like an "Ah ha!" moment to me. But then I'm also shocked at how far he's come, too.

Okay, why am I proud of Matt? The spelling bee, yes, but moreso because he has really adapted well here. He is just now seven, and this is his sixth school. Last night was the first meeting for Cub Scouts, and he's in a group with maybe 12 kids from his mainstream 2nd grade class. My husband said that when they were asked to pair off, three other kids were fighting to be Matt's partner! I think the school, teachers and families have really made a great effort to bring him into the community here, but I also think Matt is very well adjusted, has a great self image, too. And I think folks notice that. He has hurdles to overcome, but he works so hard with such a great attitude! Try and try again, he says. :)

Josh is doing well at school, too. He went through a very rough spell last weekend, but after the rain front moved through (remnant of Hurricane Rita), he woke up the next morning in the most chatty mood! Night and day difference, literally. I'll write more about that later, but I think, no, I really believe his vestibular system can get messed up with allergy problems, big pressure changes in the atmosphere, etc. I have no research on this, just two boys that I've watched through the years. I pointed this out to Matt's teachers early on. I don't think they believed me at first, either, but then they watched him and would be shocked. I have no problem admitting I'm a Bonkers Mommy, but I really keep good observations of the boys, too. Journaling here has helped me sort out some things, too.

Okay, back to Josh. I don't have the communication sheet in front of me, but I think the teacher said his is age appropriate in play, and was trying all day to imitate her communication. Yes, with sign right now, but they are strongly encouraging his speech, too. First, I think he just needs to get comfortable, get in a routine at the school. Then maybe work on the specifics of his speech? I need to read that sheet better. I like hearing how he's at least initiating conversatin now, too. I LOVE Josh's teacher! Just the little I've seen of her, she is amazing with the kids. Funny, but she was talking to Josh with the same voice, expressions as what might be used with the Learn to Talk Around the Clock materials. Really communicating with Josh on his level. She seems so patient, too. We are thankful to have such good schools for the boys.

I want to look into PROMPT therapy for Josh. I don't know if insurance will pay for it, and we're not in the public school program, either. But if it helps him, I'd have to find a way to pay out of pocket. I've heard some good anecdotal stories about it from other families, other children with apraxia. Can't hurt to at least have him looked at, see what a therapist might have to say.

Ugh. Have to clean the house. Believe it or not, Josh actually helps, and he's not even three yet. Yes, I train my boys young, with hopes they will still help me when they're older. :)

No comments: