Monday, October 31, 2005

HEAR in New Hampshire Workshop, My Helper.

HEAR in New Hampshire (http://www.hearinnh.org/index.html) runs an auditory-oral program for children with a hearing loss. Last Friday I was fortunate enough to volunteer at the Advanced Bionics booth for HEAR's workshop, "Hearing Loss and Learning Disabilities". I LOVE going to events such as this one, not only to share info about AB's cochlear implant products, but also to learn from the events sponsors, attendees, and other exhibitors. It was a wonderful event!

I was there first and foremost to share information about Advanced Bionic's cochlear implant products. Of course, I was meeting the attendees, finding their specialty/need, and sharing a host of great material with them about cochlear implants. AB has great material for educators, very cute books for classrooms, and movies for children and adults. There was something at our exhibit for everyone: the audiologists, speech paths, special ed directors, teachers, and parents at the workshop.

The rep from the Clarke School for the Deaf was the same great lady I had met at the workshop in Rhode Island last month, too! I had to leave early before the raffle drawing, and she was going to mail me my winnings, if I won anything but the rocking horse. We just don't need a rocking horse in this house. :) Well, it was the grand prize, and I won it! She kept it and gave it to her granddaughter for her 2nd birthday the following week. How cool! Neat lady, and a good school, too (http://www.clarkeschool.org/). I'm going to visit the branch near our home sometime in the near future, too. Sounds like they have a wonderful program.

Well, the neatest part of volunteering at the workshop was having Matthew with me to "help" at the Advanced Bionics booth. Hubby showed up with all three boys just as the workshop had it's first break. It was not only wonderful having my family see me at the AB booth, but it was even more special for the attendees and other exhibitors to meet my family. Matt and Josh both had on Advanced Bionics shirts, and Matt immediately got behind the table to talk to folks. He was also a great helper when supplies were running low, replenishing from the stock I had under the table. I think just having him there brought some folks to our table to ask questions, and gave me a personal connection to them when I was sharing materials.

And did I ever share materials! Some of the other exhibitors were laughing at me handing out info, but it was my goal to find the need and fill it. Sometimes people would "feel bad" for taking a video or disc, but I had to explain that's why I had them there, to share. And that they could get even more books, videos, etc. for their school or center at the web addy on back of the material: www.bionicear.com (http://www.bionicear.com/webform.asp), or by calling Customer Service at: 1 800-678-2575 ext. 2101.

Now, it may sound hokey to you, I stand there and hand out material, but I find the whole experience fascinating. AB has great products and information to share, but it's also great to see how the education system is learning and evolving. CIs have been around for some time now, but are now seen in the school systems more than ever before. When Matt was implanted, only four years ago, I saw and heard that many school districts just didn't know what to do with implanted children. The kids were treated just as if they had hearing aids, when in reality they had "brand new ears". This weekend I was thrilled to meet educators who were familiar with the cochlear implant, and thirsty to learn more that could help them reach and teach the implanted child. I hope this is a trend for the better that continues.

On a smaller scale, the workshop was specifically addressing challenges that may face a Hearing Impaired child and impact their learning, and how to identify, differentiate and address HI issues vs. Learning Disability issues. They talked about how some children are not only HI but have additional LDs that may affect their access to education. I have seen this in my own family, with my own boys. Because Matt is deaf with a CI, he faces certain challenges but seems to overcome them easily. Not so with Josh. I think he has some learning disabilities that make it harder for him to use what he learns. Fortunately, the more I learn about him and the more people we work with, it seems like his is pretty okay cognitively, but will need some more work getting over hurdles now and in the future. It's hard for me to understand this sometimes, I can't imagine how educators do this in the classroom and speech rooms! The good ones earn my greatest respect. :)

Okay, I need to wake up a couple of kids, get ready for school. Happy Halloween! I hope to write more later about Josh's progress (getting some better oral motor movement!) and AB's new iConnect (http://www.bionicear.com/products/auria_earhooks.asp), WAY COOL stuff! I may see if Matt can use Josh's Auria and the iConnect for his FM use at school. I don't know if it can be reprogrammed that way, if they can essentially switch BTEs and reprogram them, but he would absolutely LOVE using it in school. More later...

No comments: