Thursday, October 27, 2005

Matthew's 4 Yr. Post Activation Checkup

Wow. He's doing pretty well, needed a little boost maybe in the low frequency range. We also noticed this with Josh, maybe because of the Mondini dysplasia?

The biggest eye opener came with his speech/auditory testing. I know Matt doesn't talk perfectly well. I think the tester said it was actually difficult to understand him when he speaks quickly, and that he may need work on his sylibants. She asked me what he does in speech and I answered, "I don't know." Then she told me how I could help with his sylibants, did I know what those were? "Nope." Boy, you'd think after four years with him I'd be doing better!

Funny, but he's been doing so well in our book that I have really been forgetting about working with his speech. For quite some time, now. This appointment was a good wake up call. I don't expect him to ever have "perfect" speech, but at least now I have a good gauge at where he's at, and where we need to keep moving with his progress. I was lucky to bump into his speech teacher today, and she and I had a good talk about this. She was wonderful at explaining exactly what they are doing in therapy, what the terms mean, and things I can do at home to help him. I've been so wrapped up in helping Josh, I just took Matt's speech for granted.

Well, I'm going to have him read to me nightly. The person we had an appointment with today recommended I highlight the sylibants in the books (we get them at thrift shops, cheap) to help Matt focus on them and improve his speech in that area. She said we naturally speak a little slower when reading aloud, that this can help him improve. Good idea! And she suggested I read to him, chapter book, no pics, and then ask him comprehension questions. No problem. I can do this with Chris there, too.

Wow, it's nice to finally settle in routines. The deployment and move took a lot out of us. I think we all suffered a little because of it. But I think we're also ready to dig in and work a little harder now. I don't even think I would have been capable to work more with Matt a year ago, glad I have the energy now. :) NEXT I have to teach Hubby what to do with Matt, too.

Ugh. Good eye opening experience. I love having three kids, but it is very difficult to give them each all of the energy and time I think they deserve. I have SO MUCH admiration for parents with more children. Some of my friends have said, "But you have the additional consideration of deaf/hoh issues." Well, kind of. I think every child, disabled or not, demands tons of energy and attention from parents. I am employed, I am my children's teacher. Wish I had a degree in parenting. I think those degrees take about 18+ years to earn? :)

OOH! OOH! Side note: When asking for directions to the parking garage, I bumped into Matt's CI surgeon! What a neat man, and how nice to see him again on Matt's four year CI activation anniversary. I'm glad we had the opportunity to see him, again! All of the folks at Matt's CI center are top notch. If we had to leave our old home, I'm glad we were able to come back here. :)

No comments: