Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Matt's improved reading skills.

At Matt's four year post CI checkup the audie suggested we have Matt read aloud to us and highlight the letters he's having problems with. This helps him to naturally speak slower when reading, and helps him concentrate on the letters he is not saying well. Mostly "s", but others, too. I can highlight most of the letters he needs in advance, and then I highlight more as he reads and we find areas he needs help with. This can lead him to reading in a choppy manner, so after he gets a sentence well, I may ask him to read it again a few times as I drag the pen along the line. His articulation improved, this helps his speed and flow. It's working, when we consistently work with him.

Josh slept horribly last night. I might be imagining things, but there is a strong weather front headed our way, big pressure changes. So this morning I was tired and forgot his vitamins and supplements. The ProEFA. Again, I'm sure he was just tired and I'm imagining things (read: I'M EXHAUSTED), but I could tell he was "off". He did communicate very well at school, in sign but not so much in speech. So much that the teacher and some of the staff were excited to tell me what he did. Pretty cool! I gave him his vitamins at home, and again, maybe I was imagining it, but it was like he was "waking up". I've noticed he "babbles" more at night, anyway, but he just started babbling away. Like a faucet with his own words flowing out. It's very strange, but in just two weeks we've seen so many little changes in him, unbelievable. Some of the changes are small, some bigger. But I'm Mommy, constantly have him under my personal microscope, and I've watched his communication finally blossom. :)

Well, if you haven't caught on, I'm very tired. With much to do, of course. Hubby has been a tremendous help lately, I'm so happy he has a job he can finally relax and enjoy. Makes things easier at home for all of us. He took the boys for a two mile "road march" tonight, pulled Josh in the wagon part way. Yeah! I'm betting they'll all sleep well tonight! Here's to hoping, anyway...

No comments: