Monday, December 05, 2005

Matthew the Wolf Cub, Christmas

This is a photo of Matt when he "crossed the bridge" from Tiger Cub to Wolf Cub. Have I mentioned he's a cool kid? :) We try to expose him to many different activities, figure out what his likes and dislikes, where he'll feel comfortable and have fun. Cub Scouts ranks high on his list of favorite activities. He is part of an amazing troop in our new area, hanging around with the same kids that are in his mainstream class. He has so many friends here I'm just amazed. He's walked home from school with a couple friends now, and their parents report back to me, "Matt is a WONDERFUL boy! (Of course, I knew that...) My son loves him! He talks so WELL! "

Oh, and the girls talk about him all the time, too. Now, I'm not as thrilled about that, but it still makes me laugh a bit. Last week I bumped into a mom who said, "Oh, YOU'RE Matt's mom! My daughter was in the back seat fighting with her friend over who has Matt in their class most. I asked who Matt was and they both got embarrassed quickly. 'Nobody, Mom! Just a boy at school!'"

I remember when we first found out Matt was deaf (posted back in June archives), and it was like the bottom of our world had dropped out. Then all the doc visits, schooling, therapy, just a lot of hard work for all of us. He's been implanted for over four years now and we hardly think of him as "deaf". Matt IS deaf, is always working to improve his speech and listening skills. But he is so comfortable with himself that he can meet all sorts of people and do many activities with ease. He isn't "the deaf boy", but the cool kid on the block with all the video games or Star Wars toys (yes, I'm shamed, blame Daddy).

He has done very well with what he's been through, his CI journey. His spirit encourages me to help him more, and work to be a the best mom I can to the other boys as well. He and Daddy wrote me a poem for my birthday, which happened to fall on Thanksgiving as well. I will try to find it and post it later tonight.

I think the holidays really have me in a good mood. Mostly because I will never, EVER forget that first Christmas after Matt's CI activation, when he "heard" Christmas music for the first time. What a wonderful present for him! And our present, watching him fall in love with the music, too. He's actually singing Christmas carols now, and to me he sounds like an angel. It's very neat to look back and remember these things. Interesting to think about what the future holds, too. :)

No comments: