Saturday, January 07, 2006

Two very different CI boys in one family.

Wow, I just reread my last post. It's unreal sometimes, how I can have two boys with the same etiology, but who have been so very different in their CI habilitation. Matt was implanted at 39 months with almost no speech at the time, and I remember he was doing amazingly well in therapy only months after implantation. Even in the same family, same physical etiology (Pendred syndrome w/Mondini and EVA), the boys each have their own needs, strengths and weaknesses. We are very thankful that they are both doing well with their CIs. Josh is going a slower at his progress than Matt did, but he is progressing. And he is loving his CI, too. Last night I took off his BTE at bedtime, he was furious and told me he wanted it back on. I had to take it off after he fell asleep. That's been happening at night much more frequently now, pretty cool.

Here's a funny note. Josh was wearing his BWP on Thursday and Friday. He seemed to understand us well, would respond appropriately to what we said to him. But we could tell he wasn't happy, didn't want to wear his CI as much as he usually does. Then his wire broke! HA! He had a loose wire from his processor to his headpiece! Once I corrected the problem, put the headpiece back on and turned the processor on, a HUGE SMILE came across his face. Like, "Yeah, Mom, that's what I've been trying to tell you!"

Here's another funny note. When I need to test a wire, headpiece, etc., it is so cool and helpful to have Matt around. I pulled a wire out of my "parts box", tons of parts between all four processors, FMs, etc., wasn't sure if it was a newer one or one I had taken off in the past. Hooked it up to try out with Matt first, and he gave it a thumbs up. He's getting much better now at describing sounds he hears, understands static interference, etc. What a cool kid! :)

No comments: