Friday, November 17, 2006

Using the FM and Closed Captioning for Movies

This is the FM transmitter set up next to the TV's speakers.
Normally the teacher wears this part at school.

This is the tiny, wireless FM receiver hooked up to Matt's CI.
Very small and convenient.

We have two Phonak Microlink FM sets for the boys to use in conjunction with their cochlear implants. I'm a firm believer that this is one of the most significant reasons Matt is doing so well in mainstreamed education right now.

Right now Matt and Chris are watching X-Men 3: The Last Stand, and his FM is helping him with that, too. He's told me that he understands what is being said on TV, but when there is background noise (thanks to his wonderful brothers), I know he has more difficulties with hearing what is actually said. So tonight I've put the FM transmitter microphone next to the TV speakers AND set up subtitles for the movie as well. He LOVES this now and wants it for ALL movies! He's had his CI for over five years and his FM system for two years now. Why haven't I done this in the past?

FYI, the subtitles in this movie are more accurate than the closed captioning type. Don't ask me why, I don't understand. I played both at the same time and found out that the closed captioning type seemed to lag behind the subtitle print, leaving a gap between hearing the words and reading them. Matt didn't like this, he found it confusing to hear and read the text at different times (no duh, eh?).

I am love, love, LOVING the CI/FM combo. Now if only the good doc had implanted a LISTENING CHIP in to my son's head, then we'd truly be in bliss. Matt can hear well, but as most normal boys, he still doesn't "listen" to me. Especially when I ask him to walk the dog.

HA! I just had a sarcastically funny MOM thought. Maybe some nice engineer could program the processor to send a signal when I'm speaking to Matt and he's not responding, "Matt, your mother is talking to you. We KNOW you can hear her now. Please pay attention." ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi there!
My little baby is going to get his bilateral Advanced Bionic implants in a few weeks. Can you tell me a little more about when your boys were implanted and how that's working out for you. I really would like to also know since your boys are in school, how you approached the school and convinced them to have the instructors wear the FM system. Sorry, I have so many questions, but it's a real relief seeing that you are able to share your experiences with the system:)

Katherine