Sunday, June 19, 2005

My son just called me on the phone.

No joke. Matt is away at camp this weekend with his Cub Scout group. He just called me on a cell phone and we had a conversation with me on the cordless phone. Clear as a bell. He told me it was raining and the tent he was in was leaking a little. That they might sleep in a truck later if things get much worse. I asked and he told me he was behaving. :) And that he had walked all day and his legs were tired. And that he saw a llama! I asked him about that, and he said it was a real llama.

I just talked to my deaf son on the phone. He was only holding the cell phone up to his headpiece. I am humbled to tears by the technology he has available to him.

When my husband was in Iraq (deployed for a year) he would call home and talk to us. Matt included. My hubby would be on an Iraqi cell phone, or some reporter's phone, and Matt would be back home on our cordless phone. I would turn the volume up to max and Matt would hold it to his headpiece (we need a T-mic!). After he was done, and I'd have to literally pull him off the phone, my hubby would be choking back the tears. I've talked with Matt on the phone before, but tonight it was especially clear, the phone reception, as well as his reception and speech. He has had his implant for over three years now, yet I am continually amazed by what the CI has made available to him.

I just had a conversation with my deaf son on the phone. I don't think I'll ever stop being amazed by that.

1 comment:

Just Nancy said...

Just catching up with everything you posted while I was traveling. I'm tearing up reading this!