Monday, October 03, 2005

Signs of progress.

Okay, I've told some folks that it really helps to keep a journal, to see how far your kids have really come with therapy, communication, speech, etc.

Sometimes I get so frustrated with Josh's "slow progress", that I loose sight of how much he's really done in the last year. Josh's CI was activated 5/04. At that time his balance was improving, but his muscle tone was weak and his motor planning skills were still developing. He didn't finally start walking until late that October, before he turned two in early December. He didn't start "meaningful vocalization" until the following February, I think. I knew he was recognizing sounds and words, but it was hard to show others when he didn't have the right ways to express what he understood.

Now were starting October again, and Josh is not only walking, he's running, jumping a bit, climbing up and down stairs better (when he's not too tired), and has just recently discovered his urge to climb. And he can vocalize on his own, unprompted. Appropriately. Different vowels for a word (ah ee for Daddy, Uh-oh), some consonants, and responds much, much better to what he hears, too. So he's made great progress, and I have to remember that.

Pretty cool. I don't know where he'd be without his CI right now. Or where I'd be without good guidance from all of the professionals we've met over the years. Or w/o the great support from friends, internet forums, etc. I'm just finally learning to be happy just where I am, plugging along with my boys. :)

No comments: