Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Noisy Toys

Yup, I'm still thinking about that first Christmas with Matt's new hearing. We bought him toys with sound, and he loved them. The toys and sound were new to him them. Now he plays his games like any other kid. And I've found that he can plug into them, from the headphone jack directly to his processor. Then he can hear the game, I can't. I need to get those wires out and make him do that more often. :)

Josh likes his noisy toys now, too. I have a little Leap Pad toy with just the alphabet on it. It's small, fits in his lap just right. He was playing with it on the way to school yesterday, just listening to the letter sounds. At a red light I turned and asked him where the "T" was (he's worked on this letter at school, recognizing it), and he found it! We've used a lot of toys with "voice", and I think the Leap Pad products are the most true to sound. Matt prefers them and says they're easier to understand, too.

I try to work with the boys each day. Sometimes I forget about Matt, just take for granted that he's doing so well right now. But a couple of weeks ago we started something new with him. While playing back a recorded program, Rudolph's Shiny New Year, I would pause the show and ask Matt a question about something that was just said. Something like, "What is the Baby's name?" "What is the bird's name?" "What island are they on?" Matt watches the shows, understands what's going on, but doesn't pay attention to the details sometimes. At first he didn't understand some of the words, what exactly was said. Then I'd tell him the name, we'd replay the segment, and he'd get it! And when the name was said again, he'd pick it out in a flash! Matt is very easy to work with, tolerant, and seemed excited to be "hearing" even better. :)

My husband and I studied Russian in the past. While it was easy for me to read the language, listening to actual Russian programs and conversations was more challenging. When I would have a list of key words in front of me, what to listen for, comprehension was much easier. And with practice I didn't need that help, the language just "clicked" for me. When I work with Matt and "TV listening practice", it reminds me of when I was studying Russian. Practice, practice, practice...

Matt's dad bought a video game a couple of years back, Socom on Playstation. Something like that. I don't know much about video games. But this one used a headset and microphone that the player had to speak commands into for his team. Matt used it! I was shocked. Hubby would be playing the game, tell Matt what to tell the team, and Matt would tell them. I'm not a huge fan of any games, but how could I tell them to stop playing that one?

Sometimes toys with all the bells and whistles (literally) drive me bonkers. I find it very difficult to have a quiet moment in my house with three active boys. I crave peace, quiet and calm. But I also appreciate moments like Josh looking from one room to another for the "skiing snowman" when he hears its music playing. To me it's an annoying toy, you press its hand and it skies across the room while playing the same loud song each time. But sometimes when Josh hears that music, one of the other boys playing with the snowman, he'll walk around looking for it. I don't like the music, but I love that Josh hears and recognizes it, specifically looks for the snowman skiing across the room.

Writing these thoughts and memories in this "journal" format has been helping me keep things in perspective. Although I do sit down and do "therapy" with Matt and Josh (Matt-moreso reading aloud to help his speech and comprehension, Josh-Listening for Littles), I'm finding lessons for them in everyday activities like with the TV shows, Leap Pad toys, playing with stuffed animals, and when cooking. Josh LOVES to help with cooking! When the boys are having more fun, they don't see the therapy as "work". Oops! That remind me that I need to file my first report for John Tracy Clinic lessons! Another good program. :)

Well, those are my thoughts for the day. I really need coffee before the boys wake up, before the noise begins again...

No comments: