Thursday, February 16, 2006

Time to get up!

Well, almost. Joshua had a rough night of sleep, so I'm letting him sleep in until the last minute before I have to rip him out of bed and we all head out.


BUT, he has been vocalizing like crazy! Trying, anyway, and getting more adventurous, too. Last night we started a new "song". I sing (you can't hear the tune, just pick one out), "Mama, mama, mama, Bye bye," then he copies it. When he was comfy with that I changed it to Mommy instead of Mama, then changed it to Chris, fish, moon, we tried a bunch of things. Some sounds are still hard for him, but we spent a bit of time working with "n" yesterday, and he's really trying now!

Another cool note. He's really into his numbers. He's trying to count all the time. AND recognizing letters, too. We have a signing alphabet poster hanging up downstairs. He tries the letters in sign (I'm THRILLED he's getting his alphabet now, any way he can), but he'll also sit with me and try to vocalize them, too. This is EXACTLY how I started Matt with his vocalizations. First he felt very comfortable with the concept of the alphabet, then I tried to get him to voice the letter names. I'm a huge believer in reading, and I think this is key to why Matt is doing so well with his reading now. His spelling needs some work, but he's in second grade, he has time. I'm just tickled pink that Josh is showing a good interest in numbers and letters now, too. And as his comfort grows, so does his communication.

Today I'm going to pick up the Leap Frog letter thingy that goes on the fridge, makes the letter sounds. I visited a friend who had these. Josh loved the single letter one, Chris loved the one with three letter, capital and small. I think Leap Frog is the easiest to understand "mechanical" speaking toy, too.

Okay, time to wake up the little bear. Will have chocolate milk and CI in hand. If he's cranky, I'll shove the chocolate milk his way and move on with changing him. Here we go!

No comments: