Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Baby Moon

Joshua is finally USING his language! Yeah!

We were watching Teletubbies yesterday. I really hate the show, but Josh likes it. He actually "talks" with me about what's going on in the show, so it's a good time to work on his communication skills. I remember having to translate kid shows for Matthew, and for that reason I have a burning hatred for Barney. Too many songs, words, you name it! But I digress...

Back to Josh and the Teletubbies. At the beginning of the show a sun comes up with a little baby's face in it, laughing. It shows up throughout the show, then the sun sets at the end of the show. Josh loves this, we call it the "Baby Sun". So yesterday, at the end of the show I said, "Josh, say Bye Bye to the Baby Sun." Josh says and signs, "Bye, bye, Baby Moon." Mom: "Bye, bye, Baby Sun." Josh laughs and says, "Baby Moon!" Sounded more like "Bay-beh Moo", but you get the idea. He was messing around with me! I thought he was messing up, having trouble vocalizing "Sun", he can't do his "s" sound yet so avoids it. But he was clearly vocalizing (well, as best he can) and signing "moon". He was laughing his tail off when I finally caught on and joked with him about it. That little stinker! Cutie pie, but a stinker, too.

Josh is also counting and dancing with the Teletubby program. I used to hate this show with a passion, but am loving it through Josh's eyes and "ears". He absolutely LOVES to dance when he hears music on the show. His moves aren't much better than the Teletubbies', but he's so adorable when he gets up there and shakes his booty! :)

Ooh! Ooh! Josh's finally figuring out he can make different sounds with his tongue and started trying to say words beginning with "n" the right way! Yeah!!!!! He might be slower in progress, but it is SO COOL to watch as he learns new things! Really neat boost to MY morale, a payoff that encourages me to keep plugging away with him.

Matt, on the other hand, has no problems talking. Won't stop. Almost drove me insane yesterday. Thank GOD, literally, for the snow. I was THRILLED when the two older boys finally went to play in the back yard. Hours of peace and quiet with Josh, and to get things done around the house. Love the boys, but sometimes MY ears and the whole house need a break from their energy. (Big Mommy Grin here.)

No comments: