Thursday, October 13, 2005

Peaceful sleep.

I'm not sure why Josh is now sleeping so well through the night. He was having a hard time before. Is it because the rain has washed away allergens outside? My hubby says people at work are having all sorts of problems with allergies--headaches, sinus problems, as well as ringing of the ears and balance issues. Imagine that for a little guy with malformed inner ears! Or maybe the very small amount of melatonin I give him at night is helping? My sleep cycles have been messed up as long as I can remember. Maybe it could help me, too.

But what I find most interesting is that Josh absolutely MUST listen to his music at night, while falling asleep. He was so cranky tired last night that it was difficult to get him in his PJs. When he saw his CI in my hand, he told me "No no no!", and covered his implant site with his hand. When I asked him if he wanted to listen to music, he jumped out of his bed, attempted to turn on the music himself, jumped back into bed and waited for me to hook him up! This used to work for Matt, too. Now all of my boys like to fall asleep listening to their music. Very precious.

In the beginning of this journey, when we first realized Matt was deaf, we wondered how many songs we had sung to him that he had NOT heard. How many times we had told him we loved him. Now I know he hears me. I'll tell Matt, "I love you." and he'll respond, "I love you too, mom." Something I think many other parents take for granted with their children. Josh tries to respond back, too. I think it will be a bit longer before I hear the actual words from him, "I love you, Mom," but he hears me now, and I find that amazing. A miracle. :)

No comments: