Tuesday, February 07, 2006

"On Back."

I remember a year ago when Josh was finally moving through his vestibular issues. Walking better, really starting to get around. That's when he seemed to be freed up to finally communicate more with us, on his own.

Fast forward a year, and he is now vocalizing when I verbally prompt him to, not needing touch so much to remind him. I am so thrilled! I'm wondering what the next year will bring. Now that his receptive language is getting so much better and he's vocalizing more, I really see the need for more oral therapy. I'll have to talk to his speech teacher, see what they're doing. And when we finally get into a developmental peds department here I'd love to see what else we can get, as a medical not educational issue, for insurance purposes.

But yesterday he really started getting me. I've been feeling like doo doo this past week, hard to move. Back pain, you name it. But when Josh asked to go downstairs, "Ah ba.." (for "On back"), you BET I gave him a piggy back down the stairs. He's been signing this, but I've also been encouraging him to say it. Yesterday he did it! All on his own! :) I find him vocalizing much more, when he's not falling over tired, and I am so thrilled! It's like something has finally clicked in his little noggin. Especially vocalizing the word, "NO!", but that's another story...

No comments: